There will be no Triple Crown, but there is still the Belmont Stakes
In all the hub-bub of the NBA Finals and NHL Stanley Cup, we forgot about something else going on this weekend: The Belmont Stakes. And the other reason we’ve forgotten about it? There’s no chance of having a Triple Crown winner this time around, since Shackleford took the Preakness Stakes, beating out Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom.
But what this also means is that the Belmont is wide open. Sure, we’ve got Shackleford and Animal Kingdom and Mucho Macho Man (one of the best horse names this year). Right now, Animal Kingdom, who almost came from behind to win the Preakness, is the 2-1 favorite. The Preakness runner-up, Nehro, is 4-1, and Shackleford is 9-2. Get your monies out and start betting: post time is 6:35PM.
Here’s the full post positions for the 143rd Belmont Stakes:
1. Master of Hounds, Garrett Gomez, 10-1
2. Stay Thirsty, Javier Castellano, 20-1
3. Ruler On Ice, Jose Valdivia Jr., 20-1
4. Santiva, Shaun Bridgmohan, 15-1
5. Brilliant Speed, Joel Rosario, 15-1
6. Nehro, Corey Nakatani, 4-1
7. Monzon, Jose Lezcano, 30-1
8. Prime Cut, Edgar Prado, 15-1
9. Animal Kingdom, John Velazquez, 2-1
10. Mucho Macho Man, Ramon Dominguez, 10-1
11. Isn’t He Perfect, Rajiv Maragh, 30-1
12. Shackleford, Jesus Castanon, 9-2